Friday 21 February 2014

[REVIEW] Cursed Blessings by Lynn Kelling


Cursed Blessings
Recommended for: Mpreg aficionados

Read from February 20 to 21, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 1
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Cursed Blessings has full frontal on-page male birth scene in vivid colors. So unlike many other mpreg books that usually safely employs an off-page birth scene (boo). To date I have only read one that has on-page birth scenes (yes in plural) and that was a quirky M/M scifi book called Acquainted with the Night by Tymber Dalton of which I adored to bits as it has everything my deviant little mind could ever ask for - (Check out my checklist here).

The difference between the two is that the birth scenes in Acquainted has an arousing aspect to it unlike this book plus it wasn't anything as intense or graphic as what that poor guy in this book has gone through. The birth here was very traumatic and somewhat gruesome. I really have to salute the protagonist for his balls of steel in his brave attempt to save a life and his remaining male pride knowing the macabre he has to face to achieving his goal. That tub scene is going to stay put in my mind and I shall replay it whenever I felt I need a bit of morbidity in my M/M books.

Nope. This IS NOT an erotica as I don't think what happened is meant to arouse someone unless that someone gets off on morbid stuff. I am not sure what it really is. What I know is that it contains bit of male romance and a shot of the paranormal forces. Whatever it is, I liked it. I liked the author's brave take on mpreg and it is really well written. The pregnancy and birth has a touch of realism in it although it IS an impossible feat for a male's body to perform unless he magically grew a womb, which isn't too far of a stretch here with the presence of paranormal elements in the story. I guess the author pulled it off successfully. I loved it and it left me wanting more.


I love this cover. So daring.

BOOK DETAILS:
Author: Lynn Kelling
Publication Date: December 19th, 2013
Publisher: Fantastic Fiction Publishing
Type: Short Story, 5,300 words (approximate)
Genre: Gay/Bi Mpreg Paranormal Fiction
Tags/Keywords: gay, bisexual, paranormal, mpreg, pregnancy, birthing, birth, home birth, self-mutilation, horror, gore, pain, trauma

Description:
Lev Baxter’s life has been spent searching for the truth of the world’s dark mysteries, and hiding from his own secrets. Burdened by love and lust for his married best friend, Shaw Montgomery, Lev escapes into the arms of countless, unnamed women in foreign lands, far from his true temptation. But Shaw seeks him out and Lev succumbs. The price he pays lies in a Romanian demon’s curse, and his guilt drives him into hiding. When the curse comes to fruition and Lev has no choice but to carve it from his body, no amount of running or hiding can save him from the truths which find him at last. (M/M)


* Reviewed on February 21st, 2014


*:--☆--:*:--☆:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*


No comments:

Post a Comment