Wednesday 12 February 2014

[REVIEW] Maverick's Mate [Brac Pack Manga Book 1] by Lynn Hagen

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Read from February 11 to 13, 2014 — I own a copy, read count: 1




2 Stars for the Story Massacre and Mood Killing Effect

I am going to be very frank as usual. Here goes...

The artwork was substandard. It was unrefined and unprofessionally done - typeface too small, non-standardized font size plus bad choice of font type. Besides that, I have also caught a few typos. >_<

I have actually read the novel version of this story and happened to loved it. I have a soft spot for bratty mates with their growly domineering wolves. I am sad to say that this manga has marred the original story and everything I ever held dear in it.

Weak storyline presentation with appalling paneling skill made the story confusing and frustrating to read. On top of that, the dialogue was annoying - it was like kids speech pattern. Another thing that I hated most about it was the way parts of the story was recklessly chopped off which only further the confusion. New readers of this story would undoubtedly be lost and annoyed. I could still follow it all because I have read the novel version of it prior to tackling this manga adaptation.

What about the sex scenes? Well I... cringe a lot during the sex scenes. Nothing erotic or sexy about it. Errr there's much drool exchange too. Ugh.

Yes, I am very disappointed and wouldn't be recommending this manga to anyone especially the manga fans. I hope there will be vast improvement in the next installment of this series. For Lynn Hagen, I would add another star since I loved the original story of hers (not the mutilated version in this manga). I wish I could go beyond that but I am having a hard time finding redeeming features within its pages.

Honestly, I am grateful and happy that the author and publisher of this series has decided to produce a manga adaptation, yet I am disheartened by their selection of an inexperienced manga artist for such an important project. Not only would this compromise the project, it would also reflect badly upon the author's work.


A book cover comparison between the manga and the novel version:
I am quite fond of the novel cover. I liked how Cecil looked.



BOOK DETAILS:

Title: Maverick's Mate Brac Pack Manga Book 1 - Explicit Version
Author: Lynn Hagen
Cover Design: Emma Nicole
Art Design: Nekito-ototo
Publication Date: January 7th, 2014
Publisher: Siren Publishing
Type: Manga
Genre: Yaoi, Boys Love, Gay, Contemporary, Romance, Supernatural/Paranormal Fantasy
Tags/Keywords: wolf shifters, wolf mate, mating, biting, claiming, anal sex, oral sex, possessive lover, domineering loving seme, rebellious uke, bikers, insta-love

Description:
[Siren Everlasting Classic ManLove: Erotic Alternative Paranormal Romance, M/M, werewolves] EXPERIENCE THE START OF LYNN HAGEN'S CLASSIC SERIES IN A WHOLE NEW WAY!

Maverick Brac has formed a pack of his own, naming them the Brac Pack. With fourteen men under him, they all have one thing in common, the preference for men.

Cecil Walter was living a life no one would wish on their enemy in an abusive relationship with his partner with no way out. Getting away from pack problems and a migraine, Maverick indulges in his one secret love, Chai tea. While in the coffee shop trying to forget the world outside exists for five minutes, Maverick has found what he never thought to have, his mate, his very human mate.

Rescuing Cecil from his abusive boyfriend to finding out who in his pack is trying to take Cecil’s life, Maverick has his work cut out for him, but the largest challenge is getting Cecil to come out of his shell and be the man he once was. ** A Siren Erotic Romance.




* Reviewed on February 12th, 2014


*:--☆--:*:--☆:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*:--☆:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:*


No comments:

Post a Comment